The VAFA, in conjunction with its Insurance Broker, provides personal injury coverage for all registered players. However, the benefits should be considered as basic and entry level. We encourage all players to take out private health insurance, and to make sure you have ambulance insurance, and income protection if that is appropriate.
The VAFA Insurance is divided into three areas.
1. Personal Injury Insurance – this is limited cover for all registered players regarding injuries sustained during matches or at training, and includes intra-club pracice matches, practice matches and any other VAFA sanction matches. It does not cover injuries incurred driving/transporting to matches or driving/transporting to training.
2. Accidental Death & Lump Sum Payments – $100,000 and (Death limited to 20% for persons U/18) and Quadriplegia & Paraplegia – $1,000,000
3. Loss of Income – this is not covered
HOW DOES IT WORK
Your total claim can be up to a maximum amount of $2,000, less the $100 excess.
Incurred costs that attract a Medicare Rebate are unfortunately unable to be claimed (which includes the out of pocket gap), due to Federal Law.
If you have Private Health Cover you can claim 50% of the out of pocket medical expenses after you have made your claim with your provider, and up to 95% of physiotherapy expenses (for the first 5 visits). You will need to pay your health service providers in the first instance and then make a claim for a rebate.
Medical expenses that do not qualify for a Medicare or Private Health Insurance Rebate are able to be claimed under this policy, per the conditions outlined above.
If you have Medicare (but no Private Health Cover) you can claim 50% of the medical expenses that are not covered by Medicare, and up to 95% of physiotherapy expenses (for the first 5 visits). The claimable amount of $2,000 per claim, less the $100 remains unchanged.
PERSONAL INJURY: WHAT IS COVERED
You can only claim for Medical Expenses that are not covered by a Medicare Rebate and are not covered by your Private Health Cover (if you have private coverage)
You total claim can be up to a maximum amount of $2,000 less $100 excess.
You can claim 50% of the claimeable Medical Expenses including:
– MRI costs (that do not have a Medicare rebate applied)
– Dental Services (to whole teeth only)
– Theatre Fees in Private Hospital where Medicare does not apply
– Ancillary Medical Procedures
– Orthotics, Splints Prosthesis where an Insured Person’s Medical Practitioner considers them medically necessary for the treatment of the Bodily Injury
– Private hospital accommodation
– Ambulance Transports Costs
You can also claim for Physiotherapy expenses as follows:
Visits 1-5 – 95%
Visits 6 – 10 – 80%
All other visits – 75%
HOW TO MAKE A CLAIM
1. Notification of the potential claim is to be done within 30 days of the injury occurring via:
2. Sportscover will then email you a confirmation and claim form with the applicable Policy Number.
3. The Player, in conjunction with the Club and Their Medical Practitioner completes the claim form and the player returns it to Sportscover via firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Applicable receipts are also provided to Sportscover via this method – please do not leave all the receipts to the end of treatment for submission, please submit in intervals throughout.
5. For any further enquiries, please contact the League’s Insurance Broker: https://www.vafainsurance.com.au/contact-us/
Information regarding the insurance and their entitlements can be found via: