The Don Malcolm President’s Award is awarded annually by the Club President in recognition of someone who has made a substantial contribution to the life and well-being of our club.
The award is named in honour of club legend Don Malcolm who passed away in 2020 aged 90, after 75 years of continuous service to the club. Don served as president, secretary, trainer, historian, park representative, Life Member, Gold Saint, supporter and friend to all.
Penny Heath is the 1st recipient of this award, and she was presented with her award by club president Greg Baum at the 1st Gold Saints Lunch in season 2021. Don’s wife, Joan Malcolm was at the Gold Saints Lunch for the announcement along with members of the Malcolm family – David and Sue Malcolm, Sue and Richard Salter, Paul Malcolm and Jeff Malcolm.
RECIPIENTS OF THE DON MALCOLM PRESIDENT’S AWARD
2020: Penny Heath
Don’s early memories of St Mary’s Football Club date back to 1936. He recalls that the 1936 Premiership side met at his family home in Toorak Rd, South Camberwell opposite St Mary’s Church and made their way to the Blackburn Sports Oval for the B Grade Grand Final against Box Hill Adelphians. Don’s father George Malcolm was the Club President, and Don was seven years old when the club won its first Premiership.
Don first played for the club in 1946 at age 16, playing alongside Albert Vickery, when the club reformed after the war. In 1957 he joined the Committee and took on the role of club secretary. He was club secretary from 1957-1962, working to progress the club from C Grade through to the B Grade Premiership in 1960 with the resultant promotion to A Grade. He served as Club President from 1974-1977 during which time the club won it’s 1st A Grade Premiership. He served again as President from 1987-1988. For many years Don was also the Club Trainer, including for the 1979 and 1980 Premiership sides and was a skilled practitioner of the ‘magic towel’.
He was made a Life Member of the Club in 1960.
Don was a Committee Member of the ESCFA (Eastern Suburbs Churches Football Association) from 1960-1964, and over many years provided valuable advice to the ESCFA Executive.
Don understood the importance of permanency of tenancy for the club and the need for continuous improvements at Ferndale Park and to achieve this he and Ray Leman joined the Ferndale Park Committe in 1957. The Committee had the responsibility to manage the park on behalf of both Council and the community. He served as Secretary of the Ferndale Park Committee from 1957-1987 and as Chairman from 1993.
A major redevelopment of the Ferndale Park pavilion took place during season 2010 and was opened at the beginning of season 2011. Both Don and David Malcolm spent tireless hours drawing up, and redrawing plans and going to numerous meetings to make sure that the club had the best facilities possible for many years to come. In recognition of the contribution of The Malcolm Family to the redevelopment of the Pavilion, the main social room was named The Malcolm Room in their honour.
Malcolm’s service to community football was honoured at AFL Victoria’s
Members’ Dinner on 8 February 2008. Don was presented with the AFL Merit
Award for outstanding service to Australian Football, one of only two
recipients of AFL Victoria’s top award. Don’s award recognised a
lifetime of continuous service to St Mary’s Football Club and Ferndale